JoJo's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Mar 12, 13

bookshelves: children-books, modern-fiction, books-i-own, lend-me-nook-books
Read from March 03 to 12, 2013

I reserve 5 star ratings for my absolute favorite books ever, but I'd give this 4.5 stars if there were half star ratings. I definitely enjoyed this book a lot more this time around for my second read through- the first time I read the series was back in 2009, almost 4 yrs ago to the day.

The first time I read this, I gave it only 3 stars in my review at the time, I think I had felt at the time it was a let down, and mediocre compared to the excitement of "Half Blood Prince". Perhaps because I knew the ending already, I was able to appreciate some of the more subtle story lines.

I think I would have enjoyed it more as a wrap up novel if JK Rowling had expounded a little more on some of the nuances of her "Potterverse". For example, I'd have liked if she explained more in depth about wand lore, which she could have, as the wand makers are relevant in this novel, and the series as a whole. I think I just didn't feel as gratified as I'd hoped to feel, because it kind of felt like there were forgotten side stories or plot holes that I personally would have appreciated to have received more attention to really feel closure at the end. Hopefully, when she finally comes up with a Harry Potter Encyclopedia, some of these unanswered questions will be addressed.

The positive though, for me, was to be able to appreciate some of the characters more and their evolutions and/or redemptions after knowing the final outcome. Snape's last written quotation in the book made me get a little misty eyed! You can see things that you wouldn't have noticed the first read through.

I know people argue that some mysteries are left unsaid in writing, but I'd really like for Rowling to write more about her world, as I think she has lots of stuff in her head, just unwritten. You can tell from the interviews she's given post-Potter (i.e. Potter becoming an Auror). I'm wondering if she doesn't want to write more Potter books because she likes the magic number 7, or for other reasons. It would also be cool to read about Harry's parents, their generation at Hogwarts and the rise of Voldemort.

Anyway, that's just my take on it, perhaps when I revisit 4 yrs from now, I'll have more questions answered. Like Hallows or Horcruxes? ;-)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

JoJo If I remember correctly, this book was disappointing the first time I read it. I'm curious to see if I change my mind as I read it for the 2nd time 4 years later...if I recall correctly, my main gripe was that the book seemed akin to "Harry Potter Goes Camping". I got bore with all the quarreling. Oh well, we'll see what happens this time. So far I'm at chap. 5 and still feel engaged.