Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)'s Reviews > Princess of the Silver Woods

Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

Oct 20, 2012

liked it
Read from October 20 to 26, 2012

Petunia is the youngest of the twelve daughters of King Gregor of Westfalin. As such she is being smothered by her family, who insist upon overprotecting her after the nightmare with the King Under-Stone and the dancing shoes. But that has been over for years and Petunia is ready for her chance at adventure, romance and excitement. She gets her wish, when on her way to visit an elderly Duchess she met in the Russakan court, Petunia is waylaid by notorious highwaymen. They are known as the Wolves of Westfalin and refuse to leave without jewels, money and anything of value. The wolves are led by Oliver, the much beleaguered son of an Earl, whose fortunes were lost when the Andalusian War ended and his family's lands were divided/given away to foreign nobility. Now to keep his family and his people alive, Oliver leads a band of thieves. Sparks fly and Oliver finds himself unable to let Petunia go when the opportunity arises - especially when it appears that the new King Under-Stone and his Prince brothers have found a way to haunt the dreams of their prospective brides. Looking for a way to come into the real world once and for all, it's up to Petunia, her sisters, their husbands and Oliver to prevent this from happening. Can they work together to keep themselves free from the darkness of the Kingdom Under-Stone?
I have read the other two books in the series (each one centered around an older sister - Rose and Poppy) Princess of the Midnight Ball and Princess of Glass. They were pretty good and I didn't mind the fact that there was a sequel. This one was unnecessary to the series. Yes, it resolved things with an actual sense of finality, but at the same time a lot of parts left me extremely bored. I felt like Jessica tried to cram in too many scenes, where-are-they-nows, and asides with previous characters. That didn't leave much room for character building Petunia or Oliver, who are supposed to be the main characters. Just as much time was spent split between Rose & Galen's and Poppy & Christians' relationships. I was annoyed at how well Petunia took being robbed at gunpoint while on the road in her carriage. She's tough, but I think she would have been at least a little freaked out. Also, Petunia and everyone else's emphasis on the Nine Daughters of Russaka thing made me want to bang my head against the wall after the first couple of times. It was unnecessary and quite frankly somewhat insulting to shove it in my face like I was too stupid to figure out the connection. That sort of things makes me murderous as a reader. The whole thing with the King Under-Stone and the Princes just felt like the same old stuff rehashed for a new book. Not very thrilling and the ending was very predictable and cliched. Overall, a very mediocre and disappointing end to what started out as a decent series.

VERDICT: 2.5/5 Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book 's expected publication date is December 11th, 2012.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Silver Woods.