Keith's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Oct 31, 12

bookshelves: 2012, ebooks, fiction
Read from October 20 to 22, 2012

A wonderfully entertaining read. Any book that features bookstores,the Google campus, 3D modeling software discussions, references Aldus Manutius, a dungeons and dragon fantasy book series and an ancient conspiracy involving books has my immediate attention. The trip to the Google campus in Mountain View and a visit to the Google Book Scanner add more candy to the mix. Like all quest novels there's esoteric names and labels. One of my favorites is the Gerritszoon font (standard on all Macs according to the novel). The designer of the 15th century font is Griffo Gerritszoon, supposedly a colleague of Manutius. Within the very name of the font and its designer is a very appealing homage. There's also lots of chat about the differences between reading books and reading on a device, between reading and actually not reading books. There's a hilarious moment when protagonist Clay Jannon listens to an audiobook for the first time and says something to the effect that read a book and it's all in your head, while listening to an audiobook is like putting a wool toque on your head. Read the GoodReads book description above, it's from the publisher but it's all true. Read this.
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

message 1: by Tripp (new) - added it

Tripp Sounds great; adding it to my list.

Keith As a friend, who was reading this at the exact time as me, said - "this is one book that actually lived up to its hype." Recommended to all lovers of The Shadow of the Wind.

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan Sheinwald Among many other changes, the novel's ending differs significantly from the short story's.

Keith Alan wrote: "Among many other changes, the novel's ending differs significantly from the short story's."

Thanks. I didn't know that, must read the short story now.

message 5: by Penina (new)

Penina Mezei The trend of disappointing endings is alarming, but in truth there are only a few books I've read where I thought the ending was powerful and worth carrying around with me for awhile. - Penina Mezei

message 6: by Llimp (new)

Llimp 14