Brent's Reviews > Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence

Apr 07, 12

Read in January, 2009

Well, I've been working on this one for a while. It is by turns majestic, tiresome, enigmatic, and written in the grand manner of the 19th Century. It is interesting to find the big moments of the film, "Lawrence of Arabia", almost made light of in his memoir. He seems to be vain about all the wrong things. I imagine he wasn't a very likable chap but you have to admit he did remarkable things, and I marvel at some of the writing here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

01/21/2009 page 415

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jfranc41 I am the same way. Been working slowly through it for a while now. Not an easy read but nevertheless an outstanding work of literature in its own right. Don't really care if he embellished his role in the Revolt.

Emma Moffitt Really enjoyed the book, but he was certainly a strange and conflicted man. I read a biography of him after I read this and the biographer had gone back over his story with a fine tooth comb and discovered a lot of it was actually fictional. Which sort of makes sense because he actually boosts in the book about how good he is at deceiving people. But the weird thing was he down played things that made him look good, and apparently made up things that made him look bad! But maybe makes more sense in light that he was a masochist and used to pay a man to beat him.