Eric's Reviews > The Four-Day Weekend

Jan 21, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, 2009
Read in January, 2009

This is an insider novel about an outsider culture ("The Otaku Generation finally gets its own novel," says the back cover blurb). The author definitely knows Masamune Shirow from Katsuhiro Otomo. But for all his enthusiasm, he can't convince me that this particular four-day weekend is any different than any other four-day weekend. Likewise, the anime-lovin' characters don't exactly jump off the page with any degree of complexity or wit either. Honestly, I think any of my coworkers could have written a better novel about the "Otaku Generation"...whatever that is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four-Day Weekend.

message 1: by Cloudwalker (new)

Cloudwalker Hmmm. I'm beginning to think that very few "insider" stories work for readers who actually are insiders.

message 2: by Eric (new) - rated it 1 star

Eric I've read a number of novels (and comics) that have tried to address the culture of comic book conventions. All of them have failed. Even TV shows and movies have done a lousy job. I'm guessing the author of this book has gone to an anime convention or two. It's too bad he was unable to translate his VOA into print.

message 3: by Cloudwalker (new)

Cloudwalker I've only gone to a few, but I was always struck by how complex they were, how much more there is to such gatherings than just a bunch of kids and overage geeks being self-indulgent.

message 4: by Eric (new) - rated it 1 star

Eric Oh yeah, there's lots of stuff going on. That's why it's really difficult to write a novel about these types of events. Movies and TV generally focus on the cosplay visuals. But author's have the freedom to dig a little deeper. It's a tricky thing.

message 5: by Cloudwalker (new)

Cloudwalker I guess it would be hard to balance accurate reporting with storytelling, and still keep the whole thing interesting to the average reader. Think of just the stereotypes he'd have to deal with: would it be best to use them or try to explode them, and moreover, would non-insiders even understand what he was doing?

You're right, this is all very tricky indeed.