Jessica Harrison's Reviews > Ironskin

Oct 20, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, reviewed
I own a copy

Read full review at Cracking the Cover
Loosely based on Charlotte Bronte’s “Jane Eyre,” “Ironskin” feels immediately familiar. The tone and setting of the two novels are quite similar, and there are obvious plays on the main characters — Jane Elliot (Jane Eyre), Dorie (Adele), Edward Rochart (Edward Rochester), Poole and Blanche Ingram. But there are obvious departures, too — the war, the fey, Jane’s sister, Jane’s happy childhood.

The departures make “Ironskin” more successful than many of the other reimaginings of Bronte’s classic. Here, Tina Connolly has molded the tale into something new and unique.

“Ironskin” is not an action-packed adventure. Much like “Jane Eyre,” it has a Gothic broodiness that some readers will equate as slow. The truth is, “Ironskin” actually reads quite a bit faster both in length and in writing style.

Honestly, that’s what’s missing, too. I personally wanted a little more weight, a little more depth. The last few chapters felt rushed. Not because the action picked up, but because there could have been more there. Though satisfying, the conclusion could have been a little stronger.

Overall, however, “Ironskin” was a satisfying read. I could have lived without the book cover, which felt like a reach, but otherwise my complaints are limited to those above. At approximately 300 pages, it’s a fast read, too. Perfect for a weekend afternoon.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironskin.