ian's Reviews > Ptolemy's Gate

Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stroud

Jan 21, 09

I just finished reading the last book of The Bartimaeus Trilogy a few minutes ago. The whole set is exciting and very funny. I just loved it.[return][return][return][return]The Bartimaeus Trilogy is made up of the following books: The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate. The story revolves around Nathaniel, a young magician who develops his powers and ascends the ranks in the English government, which is run by magicians. In the story, magicians get their power from spirits summoned from the Other Place. Nathaniel's demon slave is a djinni named Bartimaeus. He's a wisecracking character and provides much of the humor in the story.[return][return][return][return]It seems like a formulaic enough beginning, but Nathaniel's story progresses in a way that is less common in fantasy stories. It's not just about discovering one's power and using it for a great purpose. It's not about growing into one's destiny. Or maybe, to an extent, it is. But, it takes an uncommon path.[return][return][return][return]There's quite a bit of politics in the story, but underneath all the action and the witty repartee, and the intricate yet solid plot, is a story about redemption. While it takes you on a thrilling ride along the plot, it also deals a wallop of heart. And it's neither forced nor awkward. This is one series that's good from the first book to the very last word. [return][return][return][return]Read it! Read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ptolemy's Gate.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alpinepath (new)

Alpinepath You're right about that one, sister! :) I mean esp. your final sentence. "is a story about redemption" I've read such a thing many times before about other stories, but this line being placed here, about this particular series...it suddenly moved me. Coz it certainly is. And a grand one it is too.

message 2: by ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

ian i suddenly missed this series! perhaps it's time for a reread :) have you read the new bartimaeus book? "ring of solomon"? :)

Alpinepath wrote: "You're right about that one, sister! :) I mean esp. your final sentence. "is a story about redemption" I've read such a thing many times before about other stories, but this line being placed here,..."

message 3: by Alpinepath (new)

Alpinepath I've re-read it recently. :) The third one, nehow, which is my fave of the three. No, I haven't gotten to the 4th yet, but I'm about to! Have you?

message 4: by ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

ian I haven't... I'm keeping myself from buying any more books for now, because my bookpile is so high! I have to finish all of them before I can get Ring of Solomon hehe. Let me know if you've started on RoS :)