Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > For the First Time

For the First Time by Kathryn Smith

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For the First Time.

message 1: by Mae (new) - added it

Mae Just put this book on my wish-list and I was wondering what your shelf 'bbw-heroine' means. Thanks.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Big, Beautiful, Woman. In other words, heroine is not thin. :)

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I love bbw heroines...as long as the whole book is not about that, if that makes any sense. I'm a bbw myself and I like seeing heroines I can relate to on that level, but I don't angst constantly about my size and I don't want my heroines to either. It's one of the reasons I gave up chick lit. All these size twelve women moaning about being "fat." LOL.

I also hate plots where she magically becomes thin Now That She's Happy. Just read an awesome book where heroine actually gets *bigger*--not plus-sized, but she had been emaciated and she started eating again and also working out and getting muscular.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I prefer the heroine not spend too much time moaning about her size. I don't mind if she worries about it a little, as long as she's able to get past that.

I don't like chick lit because it's too whiny for me.

Oh, I don't like that when the heroine gets thin and is now happy either. In general, I really dislike most makeover stories, if that seems to solve all her problems. You'd like Kathryn Smith's books, Kelly. She has lots of BBW heroine who are seen as sexy, confident women (for the most part), and the heroes like them the way they are.

message 5: by Mae (new) - added it

Mae Thanks for the clarification. I just put several of Kathryn Smiths books on my wishlist.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) You're very welcome. I think you'd like her.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Yes, thanks! :)

Oh, another pet peeve is when the story presents someone as OMGHUGE, so overweight they're nearly immobile, and then halfway through the story we find out she's 180# and size 14. LOL.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I know! That's ridiculous. A lot of women are that size and real life, and do just fine.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I know! I'm bigger than that and I spent all yesterday chasing after two hyperactive dogs, so obviously it can be done. ;)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) And I am/was in better shape than several thin women I know.