Kame's Reviews > Naturally, Charlie

Oct 24, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read from October 20 to 24, 2012

A solid 4 stars

Imagine riding the busy subway in New York City and someone catching your eye, then they get off a stop later. You think your chance at an instant connection is gone forever, but when you go out for drinks with a friend you see this person again. Is it destiny or fate?

This is how Charles and Charlotte meet in Naturally, Charlie. Both go by the name Charlie, and the name suits them both well. Charles feels the immediate connection and has the foresight to not rush Charlotte and let her set the pace of the relationship. Charlotte has been hurt in the past, by a fiancée whose family did not think she was the right choice. Charles and her former fiancée traveled in similar circles, and leery of a second broken heart Charlotte decides a friendship is the best choice.

These characters were multidimensional. Charles is a freelance writer who has a soft soul. He is patient and kind. He knows he must wait until Charlotte is ready to learn the depth of his feelings. Charlotte is a quirky girl who makes up words to convey her feelings and bakes cupcakes as a way to calm herself. She has yet to deal with the hurt of the rejection of her fiancée.

This is one of those stories when you think this could really happen, this could just as well be nonfiction or romantic fiction. It is not all hearts and flowers, and there are some scenes of great pain, along with joy. I loved how turns were taken between the voices of the characters. One chapter would be told from Charles point of view and a different one from Charlotte’s – I really liked how the male and female symbol was used near the chapter heading to indicate whose voice would be talking.

Want a book that wraps you like a warm sweater on a winter’s day – this is the one for you. This is Ms. Scott’s debut novel – a great debut and I anxiously await more! I received an Advanced Readers Copy of this book from a review service for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naturally, Charlie.

10/23/2012
50.0% "Loving it!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Scott Really enjoyed reading your review. Thank you for the kind words and lovely review. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the two Charlies.

xo,
S.L.

Kame thank you for checking it out!

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat Looks very interesting Kame! Thanks!

Kame My pleasure friend!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy It sounds great. When will it be released?

Kame November 1st on Amazon and BN. The paperback is available now. Thanks for stopping by Amy!