Celia's Reviews > Hold Tight

Jan 21, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: thrillers-crime
Read in January, 2009

Very mediocre thriller. Ridiculous plot (the "crazed" killer was laughable), and very cardboard characters - the parents trying to decide in a very stagey way whether or not to install spy software on their son's computer and then discovering a strange exchange of instant messages, the bitch lawyer who has never had kids, blah blah blah.

The writing was the last straw really - the paragraph below is the dramatic ending. A confession has been made - Hester is the bitch lawyer, LeCrue and Duncan are cops.

"The room pretty much exploded then. There were tears, of course. Hugs. Apologies. Wounds were ripped open and closed. Hester worked it. She grabbed LeCrue and Duncan. They all saw what happened here. No one wanted to prosecute the Bayes."

Could you have wrapped it up a bit neater in one paragraph, Harlan? I think my favourite sentences in this paragraph are the first ("I can't be bothered actually writing any sort of moving scene, so I'll just say that the room pretty much exploded - that'll do") and the wounds being ripped open and closed - what the hell kind of imagery is that? Lazy, boring writing, crappy cardboard characters, no more Harlan Coben for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Tight.

03/20/2016 marked as: read

Maggie I agree that this is not the best writing. Lazy describes it well.

Rich True, not his best book

message 3: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Robinson I respect your opinion about this book. However, I don't agree with you. This book never had a boring part in it. It was always talking about either teenage suicide, drug abuse, or parental issues. Harlan made almost every character in the book equally important. Adams disappearance, and the spy came is a great mystery plot. The quality of this book should be a best seller.

Rhaabibe Facundes I agree with Glenn!

message 5: by Leftbanker (new)

Leftbanker I just read my first Coben novel (Fool Me Once) and was underwhelmed beyond belief. There wasn't a single memorable moment in the entire "thriller." It wasn't a horrible book but please tell me why this guy is so popular.