Celia Powell's Reviews > Hold Tight

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben

Jan 22, 09

bookshelves: thrillers-crime
Read in January, 2009

Very mediocre thriller. Ridiculous plot (the "crazed" killer was laughable), and very cardboard characters - the parents trying to decide in a very stagey way whether or not to install spy software on their son's computer and then discovering a strange exchange of instant messages, the bitch lawyer who has never had kids, blah blah blah.

The writing was the last straw really - the paragraph below is the dramatic ending. A confession has been made - Hester is the bitch lawyer, LeCrue and Duncan are cops.

"The room pretty much exploded then. There were tears, of course. Hugs. Apologies. Wounds were ripped open and closed. Hester worked it. She grabbed LeCrue and Duncan. They all saw what happened here. No one wanted to prosecute the Bayes."

Could you have wrapped it up a bit neater in one paragraph, Harlan? I think my favourite sentences in this paragraph are the first ("I can't be bothered actually writing any sort of moving scene, so I'll just say that the room pretty much exploded - that'll do") and the wounds being ripped open and closed - what the hell kind of imagery is that? Lazy, boring writing, crappy cardboard characters, no more Harlan Coben for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Tight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maggie I agree that this is not the best writing. Lazy describes it well.

Rich True, not his best book