D.w.'s Reviews > The Holy Thief

1937017
Dec 12, 09

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in December, 2008

Number nineteen and all the elements are in place for a good tale. We have Red Herrings and misdirection, we have a body and multiple suspects. We have motives and misdeeds. Peters delivers a good story.

Way back when, Cadfael did something that he probably shouldn't have in regards to Saint Winifred who is the prize of Saint Peters and Saint Pauls monastery/Cathedral. Well the act was such that it could never be undone, and what takes place in this book could expose Cadfael's indiscretion. Yet larger misdeeds abound once a body is found.

Cadfael, as always, is perfectly positioned with his study of human nature and careful sleuthing to uncover the truth behind all the mysteries. Encompassing the telling is more of the politics surrounding the stagnating civil war. Here we meet Robert Beaumont, Earl of Leicester and the candid dialogue between and Hugh Beringar, sheriff of our home county, adds further to the linear time frame in which the canon takes place. We see the faith of the times put to the test also and it highlights how much more faith was relied on then as to now. That alone elevates this tale of our Medieval past above the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Holy Thief.