Angela Risner's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison

Oct 19, 12

Beth Harbison's writing can be hit (Shoe Addicts) and miss (Hope in a Jar), but thankfully this is definitely a hit.

The story follows Gemma, a private chef who cooks for a different client every day. Gemma is single and 37, thus she is what Jane Austen would call a spinster without much hope. She doesn't see herself as anything special.

Gemma's clients run the gamut from Snooty McSnootertons to Mr. Tuesday Night (whom she's never met in person) to possible members of the Russian Mafia. When she loses her Friday night client, she ends up going out to a bar and hooking up with a man. He leaves her a note the next morning, but she accidentally spills water on it and can't read it. Gemma goes on with her life, trying to figure out who is causing her big catering jobs at the local country club to be canceled and looking for a new Friday night client.

I really enjoyed the character of Gemma, as she was easily likable, and I cared about what happened to her. I also enjoyed getting to know each of her clients and her best friend.

It will definitely entertain you.

Recommend.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.