Becky's Reviews > The Prince of Tides

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

Jan 30, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in January, 2009

I enjoyed most of this book. When I read the first ten pages or so, I was blown away by the writing style and how poetic it was. This book is the family saga of a southern family told from the point of view of the middle aged Tom Wingo as he is talking to his sister's psychologist, Dr. Lowenstein. I really liked the family story, but really disliked the parts about middle aged Tom and the psychologist. Tom's character didn't seem to make much sense. He would fly into a rage at Lowenstein and then all of the sudden everything would be okay. I just didn't understand his character. Some of the relationships were just weird in this book, but maybe it's just supposed to reflect life. Sometimes people are cruel for reasons you don't understand, you forgive them sometimes, hate them sometimes, but under all of that there's still the love of a family that just isn't logical, but it's real. People are contradictory and illogical, but it's because they're human. Maybe that's what this book was trying to say....or maybe it was just poor character development. But even with the problems I had with some of the characterization, this was still an excellent book: a great story with beautiful writing.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince of Tides.