Joanna's Reviews > All the King's Men

All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren

Mar 12, 09

bookshelves: plain-ol-fiction
Recommended for: Michael Emerson fans!
Read in February, 2009

Whew, I finally made it! I thoroughly enjoyed this story, although I have to confess I don't think audiobooks are really my bag. I kept spacing out while listening, and had to replay the same passages over and over. Which I loved, because I can never get enough of Michael Emerson's voice and the impossibly cute way he has of saying words that begin with "wh," but it did drag a 12-hour audio into a five week experience.

I just loved the character of Jack Burden and his random tangents that, at the time, seemed to have nothing to do with anything but which magically tied everything together in the end. Jack is deadpan, smart, devious, honest, loyal and philosophical. As a narrator, Michael Emerson is utterly brilliant.

One day I'll definitely pick up a printed edition and experience Jack Burden in an entirely new medium. I'm already looking forward to it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the King's Men.

02/13/2009 "I definitely prefer Jack's random philosophical tangents to any kind of narrative involving Willie Stark." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by KC (new)

KC oooooh! Needed some Michael?

Joanna hell yeah!! I'm loving it - it's like I have a date with Michael every day!

message 3: by KC (new)

KC love the comparison.

I'll have to find a copy of my own!

message 4: by KC (new)

KC Guess who just got a new iPod and loaded some Michael-awesomeness on! I'm v. excited to start listening again, though I do have the problem you mentioned with spacing out.

message 5: by Joanna (last edited Mar 14, 2009 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna
hoooray!!

message 6: by Aredhel (new) - added it

Aredhel Hey!Today i've finally got a copy of my own!)))Was screaming and jumping the whole morning as i was sooo excited!This Tuesday and, i think, also Wednesday'll be devoted to Michael's amazing voice!)))

Joanna aaaahh that's so awesome!!