David Rooklin's Reviews > Point Counter Point

Point Counter Point by Aldous Huxley

Oct 27, 08

Read in August, 2007

I love Huxley. I've inferred that he is not exactly respected as a true literary figure, and perhaps this is because he is too many things, besides literary, at the same time. I think of Huxley as having a very strong grasp on the whole spectrum of human experience and dissecting his perceptions of humanity as if using the scientific method itself. This book, one of my favorites to date, is super heady, but also really fun to read, and enlightening. We follow a close knit circle of socially active friends and acquaintances living in 1920's London as Huxley, as a convincing chameleon, jumps from archetypal character to archetypal character laying out the inner psyches, motivations, pleasures, and torments of about a dozen very different types of people. He ultimately captures an impressively large sampling of the total and diverse human experience. This all makes for a fascinating read, though Huxley's greatest genius and greatest potential contribution, perhaps, can be seen in the current events of the time (1928) that he decides worthy of writing analytical dialog about, for these topics tend to be exactly those most poignant still today, like the dilemma of diminishing natural resources and democracy's proneness to draw out and extol a nation's own mediocrity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point Counter Point.