Sarah Sammis's Reviews > Politics in Compassion: The Future of American Politics

Politics in Compassion by Jack Schauer

Jun 02, 09

bookshelves: review-copy, read-in-2009
Read in June, 2009

Politics in Compassion by Jack Schauer takes a look at the history of political compassion in the 20th century and tries to extrapolate a modern approach to undo recent gaffs in policy.

Schauer comes to this subject with two masters. He has done his research and the notes and citations are thorough. Unfortunately the book lacks focus in its editing. Schauer has the tendency to ramble. His sentences tend towards being run-ons and sometimes he has problems with agreement between subjects, objects and verbs. He also doesn't find a consistent voice. Sometimes he refers to himself in the third person: "the author shows" and other times he uses "I." Both are acceptable but not together.

I like political science books. I enjoyed reading Schauer's summary of key historical moments in U.S. politics but the editing mistakes became too much of a distraction to fully engage the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Politics in Compassion.