Emily's Reviews > Knife

Knife by R.J. Anderson

F 50x66
Apr 22, 2009

Read in January, 2009

I've wanted to write a super-duper review for this book, but I just can't find the words to describe how fabulous it is. I admit I'm biased-- I've known RJA for years, and fell in love with her writing with her fan fiction. I've been privileged to help with the editing process on this novel, but I hadn't read the most recent revision until this was published. And it was amazing. I've always been a fan of fairy tales, and this one is a classic-- and yet, it isn't. It's both familiar and unfamiliar, as RJA takes everything we think we know about fairies and tweaks it. Yes, they're diminuitive. Yes, they have wings. But these fairies are without magic and live in fear of, well, pretty much everything-- especially the humans who live close by. When Bryony forms a friendship with one of them-- a young man who has problems of his own-- she finds the first hope her people have had in years.

The thing I like most about this book is not just the adventure or the love story-- although both are excellent and engaging-- it's that, while telling a corking good story, RJA manages to make important commentaries on what it means to be human. And, of course, what it means to be fairy. She comments on love, compassion, creativity, the value of art-- but without being didactic or trite.

It's simply an excellent read, for all ages. And I can't wait for the sequel.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knife.

01/20/2009 page 1

Adriana Somebody, who shall remain nameless but her names starts with a J and ends with an ennifer, was supposed to lend this book to me when I visited her very recently, but she must not have remembered. I might just have to go out and find my own copy.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer !!!

I swear, I *just* remembered I was supposed to give it to you when I read Emily's review! I literally did a *headdesk*. (BTW- when I remembered about the book I also remembered you never showed me your messed up hand! I'm beginning to believe it's a perfectly normal hand and you just want attention and sympathy! :P)

I send it when I send Penelope, which will probably not be for a week or two, if I'm being very, very honest with myself.

Adriana I guessed that you didn't really care about my deformed pinkie, so I didn't show it to you. But I will happily post a picture of it as my FB pic just to prove that it is out of the normal.

And thanks - I appreciate you sharing. :)