Ann's Reviews > Citizen of the Galaxy

Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein

1935318
Jan 24, 2009

Read in January, 2009

I've read a LOT of Heinlein, and this book doesn't read as much like a "typical" Heinlein book as others I've read. The main character is very serious --yes, he was a slave, but usually Heinlein books involve a certain witty dialogue that this character lacked.

That said, it was still an amazing book. We meet Thorby as he's being unloaded from a slave ship, and follow him through his life from there on. He's adopted by a begger/slave trade fighter in disguise, Baslim, who he calls Pop. From there, Thorby goes on to be adopted into the complicated "family" of a Free Trade ship, who's captain is fulfilling an oath to Baslim by adopting Thorby. We learn all about the Free Traders through an anthropologist on the ship who is studying them, and I found this break down of their culture very interesting. Thorby is then transferred into the hands of the military, as part of the Captain's oath to Baslim-- find out who Thorby really is.

Begin Thorby's stint serving in the military, gaining status because of his arms defense knowledge learned from the traders. Eventually we find out who he really is, and who Baslim really was. The rest of the book is finished on Earth, where Thorby finally fulfills his destiny, and his legacy to Pop.

As this book was ending, I kept looking at the remaining pages and thinking "no WAY this is going to resolve itself in 10, 5, 2 pages!!". And I was right, it didn't. The end of the book left me wanting more, as I don't feel it fully wrapped up the story. Aside from this, Citizen Of The Galexy was a great read!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Citizen of the Galaxy.