Cayleigh's Reviews > The Ruins of Lace

The Ruins of Lace by Iris Anthony

Oct 28, 12

bookshelves: read-2012
Read from October 19 to 22, 2012

I loved in intricacies of this story, just like lace is made from lots of strands twisted together so is this story made by the POVs of several different characters, including very uniquely a smuggling dog which she wrote in the back was the reason she decided to write the story. Besides the stories of the characters intertwining I also enjoyed how themes also were carried throughout the story, Katharina the lace maker hunched over from the 25 years of lace making, Lisette hunched from the weight of guilt, the other characters hobbled by their sense of not being able to provide for the ones they love. Just a wonderful story that moves fast and doesn’t get mired down in details or tripped up by all the POVs used. I would have loved though, for more from The Dog, he was for sure my favorite character for him, Katharina and her sister I felt their stories were complete. The other characters, not so much the ending was quick and a surprise and left on a cliff for the reader to imagine how it will go. That threw me off a little but it was not so so bad. All in all a lovely quick read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Lace.

10/21/2012 page 110
32.0% "Loving the structure and interconnecting ties in this story."