SOS Aloha's Reviews > A Royal Pain

A Royal Pain by Megan Mulry

Oct 18, 2012

“Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde

A ROYAL PAIN opens at an apartment party in NYC. The English hostess, Willa, hopes to introduce her American friend, Bronte, to her English friend, Max (en route to grad school in Chicago). But Max is late and Bronte meet “Mr. Texas” (a wandering spirit with a home in Chicago). Bronte begins a long distance romance with Mr. Texas. She even moves to Chicago to see if Mr. Texas is the one, giving up her budding career and a rent controlled apartment. Unfortunately, Mr. Texas is not the one and Bronte withdraws into her Chicago career.

Eventually, she meets an English doctorate student, Max, not realizing that he is Willa’s friend. As they explore their mutual attraction, Bronte engages in a new approach to relationships. She will be BRUTALLY HONEST. Bronte also designates Max as the TRANSITIONAL MAN since he will only be in Chicago for eight more weeks to defend his dissertation. Fate interferes with Bronte’s new attitude – Max falls in love with Bronte for her BRUTAL HONESTY and wants to be more than the TRANSITIONAL MAN. The Pièce de résistance - Max insists on "dating" Bronte before they begin their physical relationship. But Fate is not yet done with this couple in the making - Fate creates a series of challenges that force both Bronte and Max to look within themselves to find a lasting love.

Mulry delivers a heartfelt romance with a modern heroine worthy of my admiration. Mulry reveals over time why Bronte is so determined to be independent and why Max takes charge of every situation. As I came to know Bronte, I sympathized with her insecurities arising from her childhood. Likewise, I appreciated the contemporary twist to the Cinderella story with Bronte swearing all the way – an unlady like attribute which only increased Max’s attraction to Bronte. It was difficult to put this book down – I almost finished Bronte’s self discovery in one night.

A ROYAL PAIN is smart, sexy, and sassy. It is a laugh out loud adventure at its best.

Recommended read for those who enjoy contemporary romances that balance emotional growth with humorous dialogue. Also recommended for Anglophiles – those who love all things English.

I received an ARC from the publisher for this review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Royal Pain.