T.E. George's Reviews > My Grandfather's Son

My Grandfather's Son by Clarence Thomas

1933448
Jan 20, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction

This book showed up in the mail from a book club I belong to. I didn't order it but decided why not give it a read. Of course I watched some of the senate hearings when Justice Thomas was nominated for the bench. And, in shameful honesty, I also got caught up in the soap opera of Anita Hill's testimony and Justice Thomas' response. Beyond that I admit I knew nothing about the man.

As a general rule I do not read movie reviews before going to the movies. Why should I let someone else decide for me whether I will like something based on their biases? The same can be said for My Grandfather's Son. Having read My Grandfather's Son before seeing any reviews was invaluable. I was able to meet a man I did not know. A man who was willing to reveal all the hidden nooks and crannies of his life. This is what autobiography should be. Thomas makes no effort to gloss over or ignore his own failures in life. Nor does he wallow in them. Instead, he simply tells his life story. Few of us would be nearly so willing to lay our soul on the table for others to dissect. I guess once one has endured that circus called confirmation, nothing else can seem so bad.

I now feel like I know Clarence Thomas. He is a man aware of his failings and humbled by his successes. Justice Thomas you are indeed your grandfather's son.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Grandfather's Son.