Brooke's Reviews > Many Bloody Returns

Many Bloody Returns by Charlaine Harris

Dec 10, 07

bookshelves: 2007, short-story-collections, fantasy
Read in December, 2007

Many Bloody Returns is an anthology of short stories that have two common themes - vampires and birthdays. It contains stories by authors of popular vampire series, such as Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, Tanya Huff, and Charlaine Harris. Some of the contributing authors are ones I've never heard of, and I have already added their novels to my 'to-read' list. The biggest treat for me was Christopher Golden's story; it was so neat seeing his name included among such accomplished genre authors.

Any short story collection put together by so many voices always risks being uneven in terms of quality, but MBR really only had one stinker - "Vampire Hours" by Elaine Viets. It was so juvenile and trite that I was embarrassed to be reading it, but it only takes up 25 out of the book's 355 pages.

It's perfect for finding new authors in the vampire genre and enjoying old favorites. I really enjoyed seeing how each author tied birthdays into the stories, since some were pretty creative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Many Bloody Returns.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm so glad you liked it, and you gave it the same rating I did. I liked the Sookie story in it, even though many said they didn't. And Harry and Thomas were a hoot (as usual) in the Jim Butcher story. There were lots of new authors for me in there to delight. The best find IMO was Jeanne Stein. I loved her story and went on to read her vamp series, "The Anna Strong Vampire Chronicles," which has become one of my favorite vamp series. You're right...it's a fun vamp anthology. You never know with these, but this one is a winner!