David's Reviews > The Downhill Lie: A Hacker's Return to a Ruinous Sport

The Downhill Lie by Carl Hiaasen

M_50x66
Jan 20, 09

pretty funny book about author's year-and-a-half comeback, culminating in a two-person-teams local tournament, to golf in his mid-fifties after a hiatus of a couple decades. If, like me, you are not a golfer, you might find some of the diary entries a little repetitive (I bought a new putter someone recommended; I still 3-putted half the greens and shot 95.......).

However, there is a nice mix of reminiscing about playing with his Dad when he was younger, and enjoying his son's interest in the game now. He also does a good job of conveying how a sport/skill can string you along when you are occasionally getting it just right but mostly flailing away and failing to improve much.

It was interesting to me that he found it so frustrating and was so perfectionistic about his game, given that by his own admission he was not that great when he was young. Having had comebacks after sports layoffs {albeit not as long as this guy] in baseball, basketball, and competitive distance running, I'd always assumed that not having been very good in the first place was an asset for me in terms of accepting where I was when trying to make a comeback,but perhaps not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Downhill Lie.