Sheila's Reviews > The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia

The Magician's Book by Laura Miller

Jan 23, 09

Read in January, 2009

"...The word "spell, as Tolkien mentions in his essay "On Fairy Stories", once meant "both a story told, and a formula of power over living men. Where does this power come from and what is it made of?"

This passage (chapter 26) most accurately summarizes the riddle Laura Miller sets out to answer for herself in The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures In Narnia.

Truthfully, I picked this book out at the library because I just couldn't resist the title. Nonfiction titled The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures...? And such beautiful illustrations on the cover!

No disappointment here. Miller takes the reader step-by-step through the initial miracle of her discovery of Narnia through a well-loved-teacher; through her feelings of betrayal at realizing the Chronicles' widely aknowledged "true intent" (telling the story of Christ), causing her to reject the story's magic; to a burning desire to analyze both emotions and return once again to Narnia with comprehensive knowledge of both the stories and the man who wrote them.

Despite the fact that I've never read the Chronicles of Narnia and will never personally experience the childhood magic of Narnia, I found the book to be amazingly universal in its dissection of the power that any good story has, to transport the reader outside themselves and make them feel connected to a larger world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Book.

01/21/2009 page 78