Dan's Reviews > The Immense Journey: An Imaginative Naturalist Explores the Mysteries of Man and Nature

The Immense Journey by Loren Eiseley

Aug 10, 07

Recommended for: people interested in biology, Jared Diamond Fans
Read in May, 2005

I really liked this book.

This book is the story of life on planet earth, it is a discussion of evolution. It is high level, and doesn't really go into lots of detail. But what it lacks in detail it more than makes up for in its narrative style, which is very well applied to the story of evolution. This story has what some may label a tendency to "anthropomorphise" animals, because he discusses animals making decisions. However, I think that this is a misnomer. This book casts evolution in the context that it took place on the backs of billions of organisms making decisions. They may have had environmental pressures pushing them one way or another, however the process of speciation took place and populations that were once one species became two, and which individuals in those populations ended up fathering offspring in the resulting species happened by a choice.

This book frames humans and animals in a similar light, and as a vegetarian, I appreciate that.

This book is exceptionally well written. Loren Eiseley writes with a passion and flourish that I have not seen in any other science writer.

I read this book because it was in a pile of my dad's old books (along with The Universe and Dr. Einstein) and it looked really interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immense Journey.