Aa'Ishah's Reviews > The Edge of Never

The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

Oct 02, 13

bookshelves: arc-or-galley, contemporary-fiction, reviewed
Read from September 11 to 13, 2013

Hype can be a dangerous thing - and, sometimes, for me at least, utterly baffling. Perhaps on some level I can understand why this book got the attention it did. I did like it enough to give it the midway rating. But those things weren't enough for me to justify anything higher, and I did have some concerns while reading this that put a damper on my enjoyment.

An incident from the past and following the same routine every day leaves Camryn feeling confined by life. Unwilling to follow the same path that society seems to live by, she impulsively grabs a few things and boards a bus, intending to get some answers and just see what's out there. What Cam didn't expect was someone to help her figure out who she was and try things she'd never done before. Namely, Andrew Parrish. On his way to see his dad in hospital, Andrew has secrets of his own that he isn't willing to share, and in a relationship that grows closer by the day, that could be the thing that splits them apart.

I may as well tell you straight away, I did want to keep reading this. Even as I had concerns and wished certain things had been done differently, there was something about this that did pull me in. It was funny at times, and I liked getting to know Cam at the start. It did feel like something of a guilty pleasure at times, but there were character insights that left me intrigued and wanting to see more and even deeper into their minds and personalities. There was also an emotional element that occasionally rose to the surface, and when the ending came, the emotion I felt actually surprised me because it seemed I cared more for Andrew than I'd initially thought. There was a dual POV that I wish had been more equally weighted because I wanted to see more from Andrew about certain events, but I think we get more of him in the sequel? (That is actually a question. Please tell me we do.)

Having said all of this, my issues with this book are not such that I can just dismiss them. Even now I can still recall them, nearly a month after reading it, and I'm unhappy at the memory. One of the problems was the way the author phrased certain things. I'm actually surprised that I came across this. It seems to me that there are some words that are so meaningful, or whose connotations are so strong, they can only be used within a certain context worthy of the meaning. I felt uncomfortable with the way Redmerski was describing little things like goosebumps because the way she described it really seemed both irrelevant and unnecessary. What I also didn't like was how jumpy it all seemed. It felt like there were thought processes missing, things I wanted to see to know more about the characters and actually see them grow. Instead it was like, one minute Cam is not in a million years going to do this; the next she was doing precisely that. Things were left unexplained. The speech and overall flow just didn't feel right.

Those are the more technical issues. On a much more personal level, I was somewhat uncomfortable with the type of relationship Camryn and Andrew have. It wasn't massively bad, but I'm not into the whole dominance thing. Even if it's not completely full on, it's just not for me. Which actually reminds me, this wasn't as deep a book as I was hoping it would be. It was fine until Cam and Andrew were together, and then it just seemed like Cam's development in particular took a backseat. Also, 'baby' as an endearment. The more I see it in books, the more it irritates me.

With all of my qualms, then, why am I even considering the sequel? I'm not entirely sure. There is something about Redmerski's writing, something about Cam and Andrew, that leaves me wanting more. I do want to see it through to the end of the story, find out what more is in store for them - and, by extension, me. I'm hoping that I'll enjoy it more. The Edge of Never drew an entirely mixed reaction from me which wasn't easy to pin down. That does make it more memorable, even if not for wholly the right reasons, which might help to explain why I'm so reluctant to let go. With my complicated relationship with this book, all I can say for certain is that it was not worthy of the hype, yet somehow left me wanting more.

This review is also posted on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Edge of Never.

Quotes Aa'Ishah Liked

J.A. Redmerski
“Just because one person's problem is less traumatic than another's doesn't mean they're required to hurt less”
J.A. Redmerski, The Edge of Never

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mimi Valentine I don't blame you for feeling indecisive, Emi! Everyone seemed to really love this one, but for some reason, I wasn't so sure about it either! :/ Can't wait to read your review though!! :)

Aa'Ishah Haha, I've been so behind with reading and reviews lately. I need to catch up! I've been in a horrendously long slump. But yeah, I didn't quite get that extra spark from it.

Mimi Valentine If it makes to feel any better, I'm probably more behind than you LOL x) but if you're in a book slump, I could totally recommend some to pull you out!!!! I've discovered some gems lately that saved me, and they seriously SPARKLE :')

Aa'Ishah It sucks, doesn't it? That would be great! I'm not sure how soon or how quickly I'll be able to read them, but I'm open to recs. :)

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam This was a bit of a disappointment for me too. And I do understand what you mean about the relationship (I feel the same way). If you end up giving the next one a try, I look forward to seeing what you think of it. :)

Aa'Ishah It is a shame that this didn't live up to the hype, but I think I'm getting used to it now, sort of. Hopefully the sequel will be an improvement. :)

Mimi Valentine LOL I totally ask myself the same thing every time I want to read the sequel to a book I didn't like... I guess we're just really hopeful people, Emi! x) I'm also totally hoping for more of Andrew's POV in book two because I'm really into reading the guy's POV now ;)

Aa'Ishah I guess so! Plus I just don't like the idea of leaving it unfinished. Haha, I'm the same. :D

message 9: by Roza (new) - added it

Roza Dimka So I was totally considering this but now not so much. I think I'll wait for you to read the second part and see what you have to say about that one.

Aa'Ishah I'm not sure how soon I'll get to read the second one, but I was quite disappointed that this didn't meet the hype for me.

message 11: by Miss (new)

Miss Fifi Great review, Aa'Ishah! It didn't work for me too :c

message 12: by Roza (new) - added it

Roza Dimka I'm in no hurry, whenever you do is fine with me. :)

Aa'Ishah Thanks, Miss! I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Roza - Okay, I hope you find some great reads in the meantime. :)

message 14: by Roza (new) - added it

Roza Dimka Me too, I've read my fare share of awesome books this year but they still don't seem enough.

Aa'Ishah You can never read too many awesome books.

message 16: by Izabel (new) - added it

Izabel Love obavezno brinuti..

message 17: by Roza (new) - added it