Madara Mason's Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Feb 17, 13

bookshelves: food-classics, food-memoir, food-writing

It's pure, unadulterated pleasure reading Bourdain's books, and this was the first one I read. I was a waitress and beer wench for many years, and he nailed the nail square on the head regarding the "Seedy Underbelly" of restaurant life. Restaurant life is intriguing, a culture unto itself...the drama, the politics, the art, the suffering both in the kitchen and in the front of the house. He is as enamored of chef's who cook from a place as I am, and his writing never fails to make me laugh and remind me that food is a medium of expression just like paint or marble.

Food television is saturated with Bourdain these days, and although I'm tempted to call him a sell-out, he's never made any bones about why he does what he does: “your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.

Quotes Madara Liked

Anthony Bourdain
“I've long believed that good food, good eating, is all about risk. Whether we're talking about unpasteurized Stilton, raw oysters or working for organized crime 'associates,' food, for me, has always been an adventure”
Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Anthony Bourdain
“Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once.”
Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly