Jackie's Reviews > Once Dead, Twice Shy

Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison

Jan 27, 09

bookshelves: vamps-and-other-paranormal-pleasure, ya
Read in January, 2009

Kim Harrison's starting a young adult series! This first one comes out in May.

My review:

Kim Harrison is the author of the very popular adult paranormal fiction series known as "The Hollows" (it starts with "Dead Witch Walking" and the most recent addition is "The Outlaw Demon Wails") She's trying her funny charm and fiendish imagination on the teenage crowd now, still dealing with what I at least would call paranormal beings--angels. It's a very complex world full of Time Keepers (humans who can bend time and control angels), Dark Reapers (angels who scythe humans when fate says it's their time) and Light Reapers (angels who try to prevent that fate from happening), Guardian Angels of various aptitudes, and more. Madison has learned all of this since she was scythed on the night of the junior prom, but there were some complications with all of that. The Dark Reaper went rogue and stole her body, but she managed to steal his amulet (a kind of power source) which has left her soul on Earth and given her the illusion of a body so that no one but the angels actually know she's dead. The whole book is a cat and mouse game of them trying to find each other and take back what was stolen from them. While I don't like it as much as all the vampires, witches and pixies that inhabit The Hollows, I think this is a fine start to a new series that should capture teen-age interest, let alone please Harrison's mighty legion of fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Dead, Twice Shy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Annalyn Hey want do you think of this book? I read it back in October. It was Okay i only read it for shere bordness. I love the titles though.

Jackie Still reading it, but so far so good. Not as good as the Hollows series, but still entertaining.

Annalyn Do you think you will read the other two books in the series? I was going to but i didn't care to much for the first one.

Jackie I like Kim Harrison, so probably. Plus, there's the fact that I work in a bookstore and read/promote books to customers and staff, and I have a feeling this series will get quite a bit of attention.

How did you come by an ARC? Just curious.