Lisa's Reviews > A Maze of Death

A Maze of Death by Philip K. Dick

Jan 23, 09

bookshelves: sf
Read in January, 2009

I did not enjoy this book. It was a philosophical sci-fi, which appeared to be questioning the nature of God and angels and miracles and life. However, the ambience was bleak and empty, and there was nothing about the joy of being alive. All the characters were homicidal and the nature of their existence, which was revealed at the end, was one of waiting for death.

I'm not sure what I was supposed to take from this book, but any book that tries to put a limit on God (or whatever name we choose for a higher power) is pointless, in my opinion. How can one define and limit the infinite and limitless?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Maze of Death.

01/20/2009 page 95
50.0% "It's almost philosophical in nature... and two of the characters are already dead!"

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

j_ay You imagine (key verb, that is) your "god" has a penis (why else would you refer to it as a "he" (let alone, foolishly and egocentrically, as "He")?, yet there is no "she" god (or co-god, or underling or _anything_ else).
Soudns bloody limited.

So while your imagination is rather vivid (believing a book of random stories is real), you and your rather limp beliefs, are, in fact, very, very "limited".

Denouncing a book because it clashes with your hollow beliefs is pathetic. And moreso just reveals your own insecurities.
It’s a work of fiction, but at least proclaims to be just that.

Donald Did you finish it?

Carol What a narrow-minded and irrelevant critique. You are essentially throwing out hundreds of hundreds of books if u don't want to read anyone else's view of your god our idea of a higher power. What is the point of limiting something so limitless? I think you are seriously missing the point.

Carol Are all books unworthy if they do not mention anything about "the joy of being alive?" I think that is the silliest thing I have ever read.

Roddy Williams This is a novel for rational people. I don't think it's for you.

Nicholas Morine This book has nothing to do with God. I am completely unsure of what book you read.