Patrick's Reviews > Cold Days

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Dec 04, 13

Read in October, 2012

Did I mention that I got to read an early version of this a couple months ago?

I did. I *so* did.

Even in its rough form, it was awesome. Jim never ceases to amaze me.

In closing, I know things that you do not. Wonderful things. Terrible things.

For the rest of you, the book will be out in late November.

pat

P.S. Muahahahahaha!
234 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Days.

Gunner McGrath Well that's just not fair at all.

message 2: by PJ (last edited Oct 18, 2012 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

PJ That's just cold, man. (Rimshot)

message 3: by Rick (new) - added it

Rick I am so jealous. And I will be just as jealous when he reads an advance copy of your next book. (patiently waiting) :)

message 4: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe You're just rubbing it in...

message 5: by James (new)

James Stop taunting us, Pat. The wait is hard enough as it is.

Kartik Chawla Damn you.

message 7: by Val (new)

Val MEANIE! :b

message 8: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Darn you! It's not nice to tease us little people.

message 10: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Ah, the joys of being a fellow celebrated author... But really, waving your greatness at the rest of us mere plebs is just plain mean! Lol; seriously though, looking forward to this, like you a bug Jim Butcher/ Harry Dresden fan... Thanks for the heads up on it's greatness...

message 11: by Mia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mia Kleve Evil. Just evil.

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt Totally unfair. I now see that Jim is not the only author who likes -playfully- taunting readers :)
That being said, I can't wait!

Patrick Joe wrote: "You're just rubbing it in..."

I am *so* rubbing it in....

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber I need to become a beta reader...AHH!

message 15: by Juhan (new)

Juhan Raud I'd just like to add that I've never read Butcher and don't have any plans to start doing it in the near future, so I sincerely don't care about this new book at all :D Cheers!

message 16: by Brian (last edited Oct 18, 2012 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian Kern Just want to say that I hate you.... in a friendly sort of way of course. Sigh... November is so far away.

message 17: by Darcy (new)

Darcy I'm with PJ above, that's plain cold.

Hassaan Conflicting... emotions... ... ... ... ... ...

message 19: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Patrick wrote: "Joe wrote: "You're just rubbing it in..."

I am *so* rubbing it in...."

I'll let it slide if you promise to send me your beta copy...you've already written your review, you don't need it anymore..right?

message 20: by Idun (new) - rated it 5 stars

Idun That's just mean. Although I have no doubt I'd do something similar if I were you...

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Cold. I'm counting the days.

Synobal I wish I was Syler sometimes, I could just hunt down my favorite authors, eat their brains and adsorb their skills.

message 23: by Neal (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neal In the midst of this series and enjoying it very much. Up to Proven Guilty, and the shine hasn't come off it yet.

Will be reading this one too, I'm sure. Thanks for the quick review!

message 24: by Kriegen (new)

Kriegen Pure evil you are

Matthew Hahaha that's just cruel. But I would do the same thing if I were you.

Nicholas So unfair. I've been waiting for this book the second I finished the last one. I hope the Chandrian play nasty pranks on you.

message 27: by Matt (new)

Matt Yup, Pat, you're a jerk, but what else is new?

Peter Rundle Dammit Rothfuss, I've been waiting too damn long for this book and now you are rubbing it in. For you to do this while we all are patiently waiting for your third book is just plain evil.

message 29: by Jana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jana Oh my goodness, I envy you right now :D

message 30: by B (new) - rated it 4 stars

B It is irrational for me to be irritated. I am irritated nonetheless.

message 31: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric I hate you so much right now! A loving and jealous hate, but hate none-the-less. Only the release of The Doors of Stone will redeem you now. :)

message 32: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig If I wasn't too busy hating poets I would be so mad right now that you got to read that already. Obviously you deserve it, sir, as you have changed my entire standard of what makes a good story-teller. Still jealous. So very very jealous. Is Mab still sexy?

message 33: by Chip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chip So jealous. I just finished book #13 and am waiting impatiently for #14 and then I see this? Just rub it in a bit more with a couple of blog posts about it.

Linette Evil, cruel, lucky man.

message 35: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil Juhan wrote: "I'd just like to add that I've never read Butcher and don't have any plans to start doing it in the near future, so I sincerely don't care about this new book at all :D Cheers!"

And yet you needed to write this comment?!?

I LOVED the Codex Alera series. Never wanted to read the Dresden books though (Urban Fantasy was not really my thing - although oddly enough I like the show Supernatural). Then I saw Patrick heaping praise on Dresden so I tried it out. I'm hooked - on #8 now. Thanks Patrick.

message 36: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris I really need to read some Jim Butcher books soon.

Jerry Hart I just got "Ghost Story" in the mail today, so I'm a little behind. I prefer the Codex Alera series, but the Dresden books are all right...if you can get past the terrible dialogue. If I ever read "Hiya, Murph" ever again, I'm going to go insane.

Chris Soooooo jealous.

message 39: by Manuel (new)

Manuel I despise you right now. Seriously, I loathe the very thought of my continued existence in this world at the same time as you do. That is just soooooooo heartlessly, incredibly, gut-wrenchingly unfair. Says the guy who pre-ordered the book the minute it was available for pre-order ;)

message 40: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Neil wrote: "Juhan wrote: "I'd just like to add that I've never read Butcher and don't have any plans to start doing it in the near future, so I sincerely don't care about this new book at all :D Cheers!"

And ..."

Some people just like to troll...I'm reading Codex Alera right now, absolutely fantastic. I'm on the final book. I like it more than Dresden, but Dresden was still great. I just wish it didn't take Butcher until book 5ish to really get in his groove.

message 41: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave Hey Pat, stop reading books and start writing them damn it.

message 42: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Dave wrote: "Hey Pat, stop reading books and start writing them damn it."

Itsatushy Garland Shhh NO SPOILERS!!!

I cant wait, it comes in right in time for birthday reading!

message 44: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave Joe wrote: "Dave wrote: "Hey Pat, stop reading books and start writing them damn it."

Maybe you should stop browsing the internet and go do something to entertain us."

I am not an already a famous writer in the middle of a really good series. P.S. If you haven't read the kingkiller chronicles, do it.

message 45: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Kuhle No fair dude...not fair at all.

Cameron Mannila Dave wrote: "Hey Pat, stop reading books and start writing them damn it."

Its the Dresden Files, I think we can let it slide that Pat couldn't wait to read it. Would you wait?

message 47: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Dave wrote: "Joe wrote: "Dave wrote: "Hey Pat, stop reading books and start writing them damn it."

I am not an already a famous..."

Of course I've read it, it's in my top 5 series of all time list. Emotional and work-life balance is key when your job involves creative thinking. If Pat was just writing all the time without taking time to relax, do fun non-writing activities he would be miserable, and it would cause him to produce substandard writing. No one wants that. I want a fantastic third book, and I'm willing to wait for however long he needs to make it as awesome as the first two.

Chris I agree completely with Joe. Plus if all he did was write it would eventually become a chore rather than having a fun and inspirational writing session. Also that would be like telling an avid reader that they had to stop reading just because they are good at something else. Doesn't make much sense. I assume before he ever wrote he was just as much a book junkie as most readers and still is.

message 49: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Chris wrote: "I agree completely with Joe. Plus if all he did was write it would eventually become a chore rather than having a fun and inspirational writing session. Also that would be like telling an avid read..."

Exactly, good points. We all know we put the most effort into the things we like the most. Also, reading in general improves one as a writer in an indirect way.

Chrysanthos (In Jim's words) ...and that my friend is like heroin for writers. A classic "I know what you don't and I'm not gonna tell you.. ♫niah niah niah niah niah♫" situation.
Well played Pat... well played.

« previous 1