Stringy's Reviews > The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club

The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club by Dorothy L. Sayers

1928100
May 15, 09

Read in May, 2009

::sigh:: Well, that's the last of Dorothy L Sayers for me. I'd read all the others over the last few years but had a bit of trouble getting hold of this one. And now it's gone, devoured in a few short hours!

I enjoyed this - it's not her best work, but that's hardly a problem when you're comparing to Gaudy Night. It was much fun and as well structured as I expected it'd be. I was interested to see Wimsey saying 'casting nasturtiums', I'd heard it before but assumed it was a more recent coinage. Or maybe I picked it up from my mum, who read all the Sayers books years ago.

Like her other detective novels, it's a howdunnit, not a whodunnit. The fun is in watching Wimsey untangle all the different means rather than guessing at motives. But it could have done with more Bunter!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Stephanie I loved "casting nasturtiums", I had never heard/read it before.

Stringy I'm pretty sure I've heard my mum say it, or someone of her generation - but then again, maybe she read it in this book! She does like her crime novels.