L.'s Reviews > The Autobiography of Malcolm X

Aug 10, 07

bookshelves: non-fiction-and-philo
Recommended for: Every American
Read in July, 2007

I understand why rap culture stresses "hustling" so much. It's as if rappers just never finished the book. It's not as awesome an autobiography as Gandhi's but better than most any other bio you'll find. Usually biographies are just dry chronicles of some rich asshole's favorite color and addiction du jour. This really gets you inside his head. I am thoroughly convinced that he should share an equal place in the canon of great Americans with equal respect and prestige as George Washington. Also, there are some interesting comments about the relationship(s) between men and women.
Note: there are some discrepancies between this text and Spike Lee's film version. Mostly, they seem to be to save time and don't alter any real issues or themes.

Some quotations:

"Hence I have no mercy or compassion in me for a society that will crush people, and then penalize them for not being able to stand up under the weight."

"I couldn't have whipped that white man as badly with a club as i had with my mind."

"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it."

"America's racism is among their own fellow whites. That's where the sincere whites who mean to accomplish something have got to work."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography of Malcolm X.