Desiree's Reviews > The Husband

The Husband by Dean Koontz

Feb 08, 09

bookshelves: fiction

So Dean Koontz has a gift for writing thrillers/mystery/suspense (with the exception of the motorcycle scene). However, he adds in so much extra stuff that it just ruins the book. He tries too hard. I don't need a long descriptive paragraph about how hard the wind is blowing. As far as one of the bad guys, he tried too hard to make him weird. The wife's "plan" in the end of the bood was just stupid. Fine, get the guy with the nail, but why the heck did she need to stab herself in that manner? She could have made herself bleed as a distraction, I guess, but the WAY she did it was sooo stupid. It was just too far-fetched to be good.

I did like the unexpected twists in the book. The one about the brother was very imaginative (took me by surprise)... but why then turn him into some sissy baby near the end? Reading about sissy men is sooo annoying.

As far as the parents, I just thought the whole concept was just ridiculous. The "learning room" idea is something that probably happens more than we would like to believe, but all the other abuses were just WAY out there.

I would have liked this book had the ridiculous, far-fetched ideas not been in there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Husband.