Kat's Reviews > Drop Dead Gorgeous

Drop Dead Gorgeous by Wayne Simmons

Oct 18, 12

bookshelves: zombie, horror, apocalypse, audiobook, 2012-read
Read in October, 2012

From the moment I started listening to Drop Dead Gorgeous, I was hooked. Apart from the fact that the story moves along at a good pace, the narration was so good AND with an Irish accent (despite intensive Googling and stalking I cannot find out if the narrator actually is Irish) the scene was perfectly set for an intense post-apocalyptic zombie story.

There is a large cast of characters, some of which don't make it to the end of the book, plus flashes of characters that don't play a pivotal part of the story. One that particularly sticks in my mind is the man who was in hospital at the time of the event - with no one to care for him, and being unable to move he slowly, and very painfully dies in his bed.

Of the characters that do play a big part in the book, the star of the show, tattoo artist Star is fantastically hard-core - with a murky past, a passion for tattooing and an up-yours kind of attitude, I thought she was an awesome main character.

But Drop Dead Gorgeous is more than just a blood-bathed zombie story - there's also two characters who should, and mostly do, hate each other with a burning passion - Mairead and Roy. I loved their dynamic, and their ability to come together and almost put their differences on the back-burner made for a unique twist.

Drop Dead Gorgeous moves at a fast pace, even during 'down periods' of establishing survivor communities and the flashes between one group and another are done well for the most part, although at times it was a little jolting. It's always harder to tell in an audiobook when the scene is going to switch, so I would think in the print version this isn't so much of an issue.

The ending did feel a little bit rushed after the long build up, but it was exactly what I want in a zombie novel - gory, gritty and more than a little bit shocking.

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drop Dead Gorgeous.