David's Reviews > The Choiring of the Trees

The Choiring of the Trees by Donald Harington

1932542
Jan 19, 2009

bookshelves: my-favorite-novels

This is in my Top 5 Favorite Books of all time, and in terms of style, musicality and story technique, one of the best books in the English language. This book should be required reading for anyone interested in the human condition. It entertains while it breaks your heart; it induces fever-pitch anticipation while making you laugh out loud. I have read this book four times, and every time my appreciation of its sensibilities grows deeper. I have often thought to myself, "How can I care THIS much about a fictional character?" Then I realized that these characters exist only in the mind of the reader, which has the effect of bringing their lives into sharper relief in my own life. Stay More is not an idyllic place, but it is a good place. It is an honest place. This novel will make you believe in literature again, in "good reads" and storytelling. Donald Harington has written a hymn that celebrates all of us, who we are at our core. His lyrical, playful, deeply-felt understanding of the human heart will most likely change the way you think about everything... and, for the better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Choiring of the Trees.

06/04/2016 marked as: read