Leslie's Reviews > The Female Brain

1928279
Jan 19, 09

it was ok
Read in August, 2007

I found the information interesting and could generally agree with the points made (solely based on my qualifications as a female) but felt that the book lacked a scientific feel. The appendix contains about 40 pages of sources and citations, but the actual reading of the text feels a little light on pure data and more reliant on anecdotal information. I'm not really sure why that is, but that's how I felt throughout the reading of the book.

However, any insight we can gain is appreciated. We know that men and women are inherently differently and it's been supposed for centuries that women were inferior to men because of these differences. I think that a lot of people now realize this isn't true but are still taught the old paradigms of rational behavior and logical thought based on men.

Some interesting things from the book:

* Women use about 20,000 words a day; men use about 7,000 words a day
* Every brain begins as a female brain until 8 weeks after conception when the male brain is flooded with testosterone and everything changes.
* Testosterone kills off a percentage of communication cells and grows more sex and aggression cells.
* One of the first things a baby girl learns to do is study faces. They are interested in emotional expression and take meaning about themselves from every reaction from the people they come in contact with.
* Women tend to have faster and better fine-motor skills than men, as well as faster and broader verbal skills. Women have more neurons in the part of the brain devoted to emotions and to detecting emotions in others. In a complex situation, a woman is likely to understand the overall situation better than a man, while paying attention to the emotional content and the emotional effects of the circumstances.
* A woman's brain is altered forever after motherhood to enhance the survival of her children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Female Brain.