Kelly's Reviews > Cunt: A Declaration of Independence

1924514
Jan 19, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, political, owned
Read in February, 2004

I got this book for my birthday, and I carried it with me everywhere -- to the grocery store, to work, to a local coffeeshop. And if I had to go in somewhere and leave the book behind, I left it on my dashboard so passersby could plainly see the title. Heehee.[return][return]I can't say I'm going to go out and start doing everything Ms. Muscio suggests, but she's certainly planted some seeds. I do wish I had a young niece so I could throw her a menarche party; all my nieces are past that stage now.[return][return]Here's my advice to you about this book: Yes, the name is shocking and might even be offensive to you. Before I read this book, I was offended when I heard that word too. But it's just a word. A benign combination of 4 little letters to which humans have added meaning. If a few humans gave it a specific meaning, then other humans can certainly give it a new meaning.[return][return]And yes, some of the items Ms. Muscio suggests in this book might seem bonkers to you. I know I can't see myself ever doing some of the things she suggests. But that's not the point. Take a step back and look at the big picture of what she's saying. Our bodies are nothing to be ashamed of. Our bodies deserve to be respected and loved. Respect, love, and protect yourself. Respect, love, and protect your fellow womankind. Rid your life of purposeless jealousy, cattiness, and suckass vibes towards other women. Invest in the women in your community -- spend your time to help single moms learn to read or find a job (and thus daycare); spend your time to teach young girls in your community that their bodies are nothing to be ashamed of; spend your money supporting local woman-owned and woman-positive businesses; give your money to organizations that teach girls self-esteem.[return][return]You might feel as if what you're doing is pointless and isn't making a dent in the overpowering sadness in the world. You're right that you're probably not making a huge dent. One person rarely does. But you are changing the world, if only in a small way. Join up with your friends, family, and others and put your heads together and make an even bigger dent. And besides -- how could you live with yourself if you just sat back and watched all this sadness and did nothing, absolutely nothing, to stop it?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cunt.