Danny's Reviews > Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

Jan 19, 09

bookshelves: library-book

Always interesting to read the book after seeing the movie. Especially since I love the movie so much.

I like the book too, though. It's kind of radical in a lot of ways, which is depressing because it was written in the 1980s. Depressing because it's radical in mostly feminist ways and that really shouldn't be radical anymore.

The storyline was largely the same as the movie with tweaks here and there, mostly to do with timeline, or what Ninny Threadgoode, the storyteller, knew and didn't know. In the movie she's played as a person who knows everything and is sharp as a tack. In the book she's gullible and naive, though still an endearing character.

Ninny tells the story to Evelyn, a menopausal housewife, in an Alabama nursing home while Evelyn's husband is visiting his cantankerous mother. There are also bits that are told straight out by an omniscient narrator or through a character's point of view, and bits that are told via scraps from newspapers and community newsletters. The time jumps back and forth from the 1920s through the 1980s.

The relationship between Ruth and Idgie is fascinating. They raise a child together and obviously love each other, but nothing intimate is ever indicated. I think it makes sense to tout the movie during a Gay Pride Month sale, as Amazon.com did last June, because they are living a queer life in that it isn't the norm. But they're not actually lesbians either. Or maybe they are. I dunno, I just read the book.

In the back there are recipes, including one for Fried Green Tomatoes. I might make a copy of it when I take it back to the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.