Stacy Girls in the STACKS's Reviews > The Madman's Daughter

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

Oct 17, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read in October, 2012

I picked up this book on the title and cover alone. I had no idea what to expect, except a story about a daughter, her dad the madman and that it was possibly set in some historical time period. That’s what I got, and a whole lot more.

Juliet Moreau is the daughter of a once well-respected scientist, Dr. Henri Monreau. His moral less scruples led to his shunning from the scientific community and beyond, and ultimately to his “death.” Dr. Monreau’s mistakes were then cast upon Juliet and her mom, they were left penniless and on their own. Things got worse when Juliet’s mom died. Juliet was reduced to cleaning lady at Kings College and from there a whirlwind of things happen that make this an ultimate gothic thriller.

While the first three chapters did not amaze me, I was completely taken in by chapter four and could not put the book down. I was drawn in to Juliet’s strength as a character* and her willingness to love her father after his betrayal.

However, I was further taken with Montgomery and Edward. Entirely, with out a doubt, taken. I think the true story lies with them and their deep dark secrets and they, along with Juliet’s actions, will propel books 2 and 3. Or at least I hope.

Some of the twists surprised me, and others I saw coming. However, I did not see the ending coming. Not at all. YET, I loved it. I loved Montgomery for it. I loved Shepherd for it. I loved the Balzer & Bray editor for it. This is how you do an ending.

Overall, this was a well-plotted and well-written book that I highly recommend to all.

*just one little complaint, Juliet's head was “spinning” a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madman's Daughter.