Claudia's Reviews > Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It

Readicide by Kelly Gallagher

Nov 08, 09

bookshelves: professional-reading, can-t-live-without-em
Recommended to Claudia by: Teacher Leader Network
Recommended for: every educator
Read in January, 2009

Just reread this, and I'm even more impressed. Every teacher, English or not, needs to read this, and every school needs to follow these ideas. Gallagher shows how to avoid over-teaching and under-teaching the classics...how to frame the study of a challenging text, and how to support students' efforts. His book list is one I'll share with my students, and his ideas will find their way into our "Literacy Site Goal!"

I got to read a pre-publication copy, and I ordered my own to mark up and put my stickies in. Gallagher shows, logically and unemotionally, how the current testing policies and the constraints they place on what happens in the classroom, are killing kids' love of learning. His own research is new and convincing, and everything he says makes me nod in agreement. This will be an important book for what I do in my classroom. It makes me extremely grateful that my principals have 'gotten it' and understand we are not just blowing off an hour in my class; we're preparing students to be test takers, citizens, and most important to me, parents who read to their children. One of his statistics is 50% of adults do not read for themselves, or to their children. OMG!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Readicide.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Courtney You know, this would be a good text for Dr. Angelotti to use in his graduate literacy class. I think, it could arm a lot of new (and easily bullied) teachers with much needed information and research for the ineffectiveness of a test-driven society so that they don't feel pressured to conform.