Robert Zimmermann's Reviews > Memoirs of a Gigolo Volume Two

Memoirs of a Gigolo Volume Two by Livia Ellis

Dec 11, 12

Read from December 04 to 05, 2012

As with Volume One of this series and the Halloween special, I enjoyed this installment of Memoirs of a Gigolo.

Livia Ellis has a way of making erotica on the same level as most of the rest of literature in many ways. There is a large amount of erotica out there that’s all scenes of sexual activity and almost no plot, if there is an apparent plot to begin with. This isn’t to say erotica like that shouldn’t be written. It’s more that I like a plot and a good amount of substance to everything I read, no matter the genre. Ellis delivers on all of this.

I’m fascinated to read the story behind how the main character and narrator Oliver became a gigolo. It’s not a story about all of his sexual encounters. This is the story of a man who is desperate enough to partake in prostitution in order to maintain his lifestyle in the upper-class and more.

In this installment, we get to see more of a development of Oliver’s character, as well as get to know Olga more. I also thought that getting a glimpse into the relationship between Oliver and his best friend, Elon, was a great addition. There is a depth to this story that I can’t wait to explore more and more as the series continues.

I’d also like the make a note of the style of dialogue. Since this is written as a memoir, it reads like one, in a way. This is a recollection of past events. The dialogue is written in a one-sided way that has Oliver talking both parts as he remembers them. There isn’t a distinct “he said/I said” style. Well, it’s hard to explain without pulling quotes, but I enjoyed this styling because it’s different from what I’m used to reading. I also like that it enhances the memoir/diary experience that makes this series great.

Volume Three is on my Kindle and I’m going to get to reading it very soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Gigolo Volume Two.