Mimi Smith's Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

Oct 17, 2012

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in December, 2012

Great book, yet again, by Courtney Milan. Loved it! Yes, it was slower at times, and yes the hero isn't the typical arrogant lord, he's insecure at times and is actually looking for love(go figure), but all the characters were so likable, the writing was, as always, fantastic and the plot was different. Too tired now to write a longer review... So, here are some quotes (I felt an urge to highlight half the book, but I restrained myself :))

. “You see, there’s this woman.”
She wasn’t going to look up at him. She wasn’t.
“Normally, one might say that there was a beautiful woman—but I don’t think she qualifies as a classical beauty. Still, I find that when she’s around, I’d rather look at her than anyone else.”
He set two fingers against her cheek, and Minnie sucked in a breath. She was not going to look up at him. He’d see the longing in her eyes, and then…
“There’s something about her that draws my eye. Something that defies words. Maybe it’s her hair, but I tried to tell her that, and she told me I was being ridiculous. I suppose I was. Maybe it’s her lips. Maybe it’s her eyes, although she so rarely looks up at me.”
________________________

Those fingers on her cheek trailed down to her jaw. Minnie felt frozen in place.
“She’s clever,” he murmured. “She’s brilliant. Every time I see her I discover that I’ve underestimated her prowess. She ties me in knots.”

"Look up"

“A,” he said, “is for all the ways I love you.
“B is for ‘But I am going to make mistakes.’
“C is for Confession.
“D is for Determination.” Another page-flip. “E is for Eternity, because that’s how long it will take before I give up again. F—that’s for Forgiveness, because I think I’ll need a great deal of that, before I start to get things right.”
“G is for… G is for… G is for ‘Good heavens, I should have written these down.’ I’ve forgotten.”

So, I remain, as always a fan.

Oh, and many thanks to the awesome boss lady TJ (InD'tale) for getting me this book and Courtney Milan for allowing it.

Buddy read with Erika and Anna

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.

02/25/2016 marked as: read

Erika Happy for you babe ;) Really, I'm glad it worked with you.

Mimi Smith Erika wrote: "Happy for you babe ;) Really, I'm glad it worked with you."

Erika Mimi wrote: "Erika wrote: "Happy for you babe ;) Really, I'm glad it worked with you."

I'm glad it worked for me, too. Sorry it didn't for you. Never mind, more books to conquer soon! :)"

More books to conquer soon, totally! :D

Jill So many quotable quotes! Glad you loved this, Mimi. And that you got the book!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Mimi :)

Mimi Smith Blacky wrote: "Great review Mimi :)"

Thanks, Blacky :)

Feminista Great review Mimi!

Mimi Smith Thank you!

message 9: by Dd (new) - added it

Dd Great review Mimi!!:))