Wendy Cantu's Reviews > Conjure

Conjure by Lea Nolan

May 24, 13

bookshelves: fearless-females, series, supernatural, young-adult, women-authors
Read from May 19 to 22, 2013

I have quite a few books on my Kindle that I haven’t gotten around to reading, so, instead of deliberating on some new thing, I just threw my Kindle at Hubby (well, it was more of a playful toss) and told him to pick something.

And this is the one he chose.

I had no idea what to expect (which was amazingly nice) and didn’t even look at the synopsis. Yep. I just went with it.

The concept: Twins Jack and Emma Guthrie and their friend Cooper discover a message washed ashore at Cooper’s family’s vacation home in South Carolina. The note is from a pirate circa 1725 requesting assistance to retrieve his treasure. Of course, there’s also something about a flesh-eating curse called “The Creep."

All Jack hears is “treasure” and wants to look for it – a little obsessively. He finds the treasure, but unleashes a nearly 300-year-old curse. Now, Emma and Cooper must work together – with the help of a 97-year-old hoodoo grandma – to break it.

Conjure was very much “young adult”-y – which I don’t mean as a bad thing (especially not since that’s exactly what it's supposed to be). It was a little mystery, a little action, a little teenage romance drama (not too over the top).

The characters were pretty superficial. You never really got too much of a background on them and their motives and actions didn’t always make sense (for example: Emma is putting her life on the line to save her brother, yet he is just a total ungrateful d-bag. She doesn’t seem to take notice of his attitude, so I’m wondering if he was always that awful and why the hell she didn’t just tell him to STFU and figure out a way to break the curse himself if he didn’t like how long she was taking).

While the characters were likable (except for Jack) and the plot held my interest, I think the best part of the book was Nolan's attention to detail when it came to the setting -- especially the Granny's house. I could easily picture the tree adorned with colorful bottles in the yard. I could feel the rickety steps leading up to her house. I could feel the dust and organized chaos in her kitchen, packed full of bizarre herbs and ingredients.

Overall, though, it was a light read and pretty entertaining (as long as you make the promise not to think too hard about it). There is a subplot introduced a little later on in the book and, instead of solving it at the end of Conjure, it turns more into a to-be-continued. Not that I don’t think that plot is worthy of an entire book, I just thought it seemed a little weird to introduce it in the middle and spend time on it only to push it off until the next book. It would’ve been better to introduce it at the end and leave it as a real cliffhanger.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conjure.

05/19/2013 marked as: currently-reading