Jessika's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Nov 28, 09

bookshelves: classics, fiction, re-read, own, own-to-re-read
Read in February, 2009 — I own a copy , read count: 4

** spoiler alert ** Having read this book twice before in high school, I let out a groan after finding out that I had to read it again now in my sophomore year of college. In high school, I remember thinking that it was a "dumb" story and I couldn't really see any point behind it. I would have given it two or three stars. It's amazing what a few years can do for your life experiences.

This time around, I was captivated by this novel. One of Fitzgerald's greatest talents with this novel is his character development, and nowhere is it stronger than with the character of Gatsby. Gatsby is a man so desperately hanging onto the hopes and dreams of his past that he convinces himself that by becoming the kind of man that Daisy should theoretically want, he can win her back again despite five years' difference. "Can't repeat the past?" he cried incredulously. "Why of course you can!" And we see his demise as a symbol of his ultimate realization that the past, in fact, cannot be repeated and that what he has been living for all of these years--that his idealized version of himself--is over. Needless to say, Fitzgerald's character development completely fascinates me.

Not only that, but Fitzgerald just has a way of wording things in a way that you would never think of but that makes more sense than anything you've known:

"He must have looked up at an unfamiliar sky through frightening leaves and shivered as he found what a grotesque thing a rose is and how raw the sunlight was upon the scarcely created grass. A new world, material without being real, where poor ghosts, breathing dreams like air, drifted fortuitously about...like that ashen, fantastic figure gliding toward him through the amorphous trees."

The Great Gatsby is never going to be one of my favorite novels. However--and maybe it's because I could read this on my own schedule for class, maybe it's because I've "grown" and have more "life experience," or maybe it's just because my literary preferences have spread since high school--I can say that I was able to appreciate the subtleties of this book a whole heckuva lot more. His disillusioned characters, his resonating story are something that everyone should experience.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

02/10/2009 page 23
02/18/2009 page 61
33.89% "Seeing as how I have to read this for a class...again...and how I've read this book a thousand times...I'm being really lazy with it."
02/20/2009 page 147
81.67% "You know...now that I'm reading this on my own schedule (instead of on one for a class), I enjoy this book so much!"
04/29/2013 marked as: own-to-re-read