Jessica's Reviews > Ordinary People

Ordinary People by Judith Guest

F_50x66
Jan 19, 09

bookshelves: advisory-books-2008-2009

This was a very good book. It talked about Conrad , the protagonist, who blames himself for his brother's death. In the beginning, he tried to kill himself, but his father save him. Later on, his father helps him find a psychiatrist. I didn't like how his Conrad's old friends treated him differently just because he has emotional problems. How come they can't help him let go of his past. I think Conrad's mother is really strong. She can leave the past, but her expectations of her son is really harsh. She always thought that he should be left alone to grow up by himself , and face his own problems. On the other hand, Conrad's father thinks that he should help his son, and be more concern about him. While I was reading this book, I felt that the traditional mother and father role is switch around. I liked the ending of the story, but I wish that Karen ( Conrad's friend) didn't die. It shows how some people can stand back on their feet, and then there are others who choose death as their option. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary People.