Fred Ramsey's Reviews > Spook Country

Spook Country by William Gibson

M 50x66
Aug 13, 07

Recommended for: Someone who hadn't read William Gibson before.
Read in August, 2007

Well, I finished it. It was good, but overall I have to say that Mr. Gibson has fallen into a rut. I have but one suggestion for him: go out on a limb. Try going forward again. Take all your strengths and apply it to something a little more bold, perhaps attempt to truly look forward 20 to 50 years, or go way out and write a good space opera.

But enough with the John Grisham. Please.

* * *

Still in progress. William Gibson is my Rowling. I will drop whatever I am doing to read a new book by him.

However, so far, it looks like Mr. Gibson is in a bit of a rut. He may surprise me, but so far I feel like I am reading Virtual Light updated to now, which is ironic, considering that Virtual Light took place in the far-off year of 2005.

I think he needs to go "back to the future", so to speak. I know he finds it someone fascinating how many things he predicted are coming to pass, but it is time to look forward, extrapolate. Nanotech, info clouds, etc. Maybe a space opera, but taking the things that are coming and apply them. Probably too much to hope for.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spook Country.