mari's Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Jun 25, 09

bookshelves: classic, fiction
Read in June, 2009

Another wonderful novel by Jane Austen and yet different from the others I have read because this is not about finding love for the first time. This is about finding love and giving it up and then getting a second chance.

Anne Elliot is a very endearing character. I liked her from the very beginning. She puts up with so much from her family and friends and does it with great patience and always with a smile. She is also vulnerable and a little sad. I was always rooting for a happy ending for her.

Absolutely beautiful prose. I loved getting to read Anne's feelings on everything. It is so real and relevant even today. I can imagine women today having the exact same reaction to seeing the one that got away and dissecting every encounter to determine if he still has feelings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Mary i see you're reading this book too, where along are you in the book?

mari Mary wrote: "i see you're reading this book too, where along are you in the book?"

I am reading a bit everyday using Daily Lit. I get it emailed to me each day. It is the abridged version, I believe. I will have to reread with my copy at home. Anyway, I think I am at around Chapter 7. Wentworth is there but not much talking is going on yet between him and Anne. I am enjoying it.

Mary I am reading a bit everyday using Daily Lit. I get it emailed to me each day. It is the abridged version, I bel..."

what is this daily lit? you're not as far along as me, so I won't say anymore. I "read" my books on librivox, it has a lot of older classics, so i've been enjoying those, plus it's helpful for knitting, since I am unable to read and knit at the same time right now.

mari Mary wrote: "I am reading a bit everyday using Daily Lit. I get it emailed to me each day. It is the abridged version, I bel..."

I am sorry. I should have linked that. Here it is: DailyLit

I have not read the book before but I have seen the movie that was on PBS last spring. So I know what to expect. :)

Mary oh, well then I'm not as far along as you then... I haven't seen it on PBS, my only contact with it was from The glass house (that sandra bullock movie), where she talks about it vaguely.

what i wanted to say was that, all this non-interactions between the two is not bothering me at all, i thought it would, all this angst sort thing, but it's not. actually i keep looking forward to each little moment that they have. Although who vexes me so, is Elizabeth.

mari It is nice to read about their glances at each other, their few words spoken now and then when they have to. The build up is done really well.

Mary i just finished the book last night. I teared up at the end... i am such a sap. do you think the film adaptation did it justice?