Katie's Reviews > Monster

1929845
Jan 19, 09

bookshelves: african-american-literature
Read in January, 2009

I loved this book. The cover grabbed me right away. I love the way the book was written. I think it is perfect for struggling readers. The text is larger than most young adult novels with larger spacing between the texts. It is written like a movie script which is less intimidating than heavy, descriptive text. I know several of my students from last year (6th graders) would respond to this book. This book made me self-reflect on how I viewed these students in my class. The end of the book was especially poignant for me when Steve had his arms outstretched to O’Brien. That hit home for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed I'd say you are right on the mark. I just read this with my 6-7th reading improvement group. They loved playing different parts. I had one student who read Briggs as a true cross-examining attorney. We will finish tomorrow and I am very curious to hear how they answer the question of why O''Brian turned away.

Javell Hamilton I think this book can help kids think about who they hang out with

message 3: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Definitely. I asked the students what was the "take away" from the book and they all said you should not hang out with bad people, you should hang out with good people.

Javell Hamilton I new it because I thought twice about who I hang out with a now I am staying out of trouble and doing goof in school

message 5: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Javell wrote: "I new it because I thought twice about who I hang out with a now I am staying out of trouble and doing goof in school"

That is awesome! Good for you! I am a teacher and that is a wonderful thing to hear.