Lenore Appelhans's Reviews > The Dust of 100 Dogs

The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King

Jan 19, 2009

bookshelves: favorites, met-the-author, own-paperback, signed
Read in January, 2009

Well I am thrilled to report that this novel delivered on its high concept, innovative premise (just absolutely not in the way I expected it to) with a rich story spanning four centuries and several continents and featuring two very well developed heroines (who ARE separate entities though they are mystically linked). In stories that alternate every few chapters, we follow Emer’s tumultuous childhood in Ireland and her evolution into a famed Caribbean pirate as well as Saffron’s own struggles in a downtrodden modern American family who has pinned all their hopes of a better life on her. It somehow manages to be epic and intimate at the same time.

There are also a few chapters from the POV of an old, paunchy man named Fred which at first seem wildly out of place, especially in a YA novel, but do fit into the overall narrative. The 8 "Dog Fact" sections, which share lessons learned from 100 dog lifetimes, are fascinating (if a bit on the preachy side in tone).

If you are looking for an original, genre bending, mind-blowing read, get this NOW!

Follow this link to read my interview with the main character Saffron (via Author AS King): http://presentinglenore.blogspot.com/...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dust of 100 Dogs.