Izzy's Reviews > Magisterium

Oct 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: netgalleyreview, blog-reviews
Read from October 16 to 22, 2012

Cross posted from my blog rabidgummibear.wordpress.com
Looking for a blend of science fiction and fantasy? A book you can read with your kid or just a great young adult book? Love dystopian esque locations? Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch may be the perfect option for you.

Magisterium starts off with you meeting Glenn a girl who lives in the Colloquium and is striving towards joining the Deep Space Service to go to a planet called 813. We learn about how she has spent her life next to a barrier that separates Colloquium from the Magisterium. Though she has spent her life learning about the terrors that supposedly exist on the other side of the barrier a few situations quickly put her in a spot where she finds out what exactly is on the other side.

This book gets off to a slow start and definitely lulls in some spots, but as you keep reading you find yourself getting attached to at least one of the three characters. For me I was attached to Aamon and Kevin moreso than Glenn. I really wanted to know how things turned out for them. Though I will say I became more attached to Glenn towards the end of the book.

For me the book was great in parts and a total drag in others. I’m disappointed it wasn’t a stand alone but like every other book now a series. I felt like if it was a stand alone and just a little bit longer it would have been just amazing. Being left with the feeling of not much being finished off in this book though makes it not so amazing.

Overall I think this is a great pick for a YA, but it’s not The Hunger Games or other popular YA novels. I give it 2.5/5 stars. Not worth 9.99 to me, but perhaps for the 5.99 or under pricemark it’s great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magisterium.